Assistant Equestrian Director: Girl Scouts of Utah
Make a difference in the lives of girls and spend an unforgettable summer in the Wasatch Mountains! The Girls Scouts of Utah are seeking adventurous, fun loving, creative and empathetic staff for the upcoming 2021 season at Trefoil Ranch, one of our American Camp Association accredited camps.
Trefoil Ranch is located on 123 acres of beautiful ranch country tucked away in Provo Canyon. Trefoil Ranch features a lodge, ranch house, bunk house, showers, electricity, hot water and flush toilets. Trefoil Ranch is home to about 20 horses, offering unique opportunities to experience equestrian programs. Girls live in cabins or platform tents with staff located nearby. Girls can enjoy horseback riding instruction, high and low ropes courses, archery, biking, hiking, and other camp activities.
- Manage the riding areas and program in the absence of the Equestrian Director
- Under the direction of the Equestrian Director, help to plan, develop, and manage a quality, progressive horseback riding and horse care program for all campers.
- Evaluate riding ability of staff and campers; keep records on staff and camper's progress.
- Teach and enforce all safety rules.
- Assist in teaching staff their riding program responsibilities during staff training.
- Assist in writing program outlines and lesson plans that allow for progression of activities and accomplish specific program goals
- Teach and facilitate horseback riding and horse and tack care lessons (including ground, arena, and trail) based on the age and skill level of the campers.
- Teach and monitor the proper use of equipment; advise Equestrian Director of requests for equipment and supplies when needed.
- Assist in working with the Wrangler to ensure adequate horses are available for all riders.
- Assist with setting up the barn area during staff training and break it down at the end of the season.
- Supervise Counselor-in-Training and Wrangler-in-Training campers assigned to assist at the stables.
- Manage Saddle Club
- Complete weekly report and end-of-season reports.
- Manage health and safety conditions in the riding areas.
- Ensure the first aid kit is properly stocked with supplies.
- Report and document accidents and incidents promptly.
- Ensure safety and cleanliness of riding areas and all horse equipment.
- Submit maintenance requests for stables area repairs as needed.
- Ensure riding areas meet all health and safety standards.
- Complete daily stables log.
- When not managing the Equestrian program, participate in general camp program and operations.
- Assist with unit and camp housekeeping, sanitation, and care of supplies and equipment.
- Assist with weekly camper check in/out.
- Assist with camp-wide programs including workshops, all camps, campfires, camper's choice activities, and flag ceremonies.
- Attend and participate in staff training and the closing of camp.
- Eat meals with the campers and supervise clean up after meals.
- Understand and implement safety guidelines and standards as outlined by Girl Scouts of the USA, the American Camp Association, and any state and local codes.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Job duties may be subject to change pursuant to the activities of the camp, camp needs, and the organization as a whole.
Camp Staff Role in Mission Efforts:
- As a camp staff member, you are a representative of Girl Scouts of Utah. People form their impressions of the council, in part, based on their interaction with you. Every personal contact is with a current or potential donor to or member of the council, and thus, these impressions can influence their actions.
- As a staff member, it is your accountability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with other staff members, volunteers, parents, and community representatives to ensure results for mutually acceptable goals.
- All staff members are required to join the Girl Scout movement, accept the belief and principles of the Girl Scout movement, and have the ability to work with diverse populations.
- Have completed certification or documented training from a recognized organization or certifying body for horseback riding instruction, or equivalent documented experience. Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA) certification preferred.
- Have extensive experience working with and caring for horses; be familiar with western riding style and equipment.
- Hold current Red Cross First Aid & CPR certifications or the equivalent.
- Hold current Utah Food Handler's Permit.
- Possess good organizational, leadership, and teaching skills:
- Ability to schedule and manage time, resources, and people.
- Strong decision making skills while exercising good judgment.
- Ability to follow direction from Team Leaders, adhere to policies, and follow camp procedures.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups of girls ages 6-17, and provide necessary verbal instruction to campers.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Ability to respond in a crisis situation.
- Have the council required health forms and documentation completed by a physician to ensure the well being of living and working in an outdoor camp setting that includes:
- Ability to bend down and move, lift, stock, and carry boxes, program materials, and supplies (up to 50 pounds).
- Ability to walk, stand, and work on feet up to 8 hours a day.
- Ability to live in a high elevation (up to 6500') and outdoor setting.
- Have visual/auditory ability to respond to environmental and other hazards related to summer camp activities.
Summer camp is a great way to add work experience and desirable skills to your resume - especially for those pursuing a degree in education or recreation! However, all majors and backgrounds are welcome and encouraged. For more information on job accountabilities and qualifications, please see the attachment.
For more information, visit our website:
Work at Camp
Do you want to make coffee, or do you want to make a difference?
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.