Special Needs Group Specialist: Overnight Summer Camp
We’re looking for motivated and fun individuals who have a desire and ability to work with children outdoors, in a mission-focused, not-for-profit organization dedicated to fostering the success and growth of children with emotional, learning and behavioral challenges by providing individualized attention as part of structured, nurturing, and fun group programs.
Camp Starfish Group Specialists are camp counselors who live in cabins alongside youth campers and accompany groups of campers through all daily camp activities. The group specialist role is a perfect fit for individuals wanting to work directly with campers through all aspects of camp life.
• Encourage camper participation in all camp activities
• Help campers who may require additional time or explanation
• Support campers who may require extra attention or assistance
• Implement and monitor individualized camper behavioral plans
Internship/Course Credit/Fieldwork Experience Information:
Many individuals on our summer staff team use their experience working at Camp Starfish to obtain course credit through their college or university. Whether you are looking to grow personally or develop marketable skills for the corporate or professional world, work at Camp Starfish will prepare you for almost anything! In previous years, staff members studying Social Work, Recreation, Sports Science, Wilderness Leadership, Psychology, Education, Business Management and many other subjects were able to spend the summer having fun at camp while still working towards their degree!
If you are planning to use your time at camp to gain course credit, we strongly recommend that you speak with your advisor, etc. to determine the necessary steps to apply for credit at your particular institution.
Successful candidates demonstrate:
• Strong personal integrity, adaptability, emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, patience, grit and self-control
• Ability to understand, role model, and adhere to Starfish policies and procedures
• Willingness and ability to seek and accept supervision and guidance
• Ready to embrace and accept differences in religion/age/ethnicity/culture/race/gender/sexual orientation and/or other diversities. Willingness and ability to treat all campers and staff fairly regardless of identity, ability, background, and/or preferences
• Willingness to live, work and play in an outdoor setting with children who have emotional, learning and behavioral challenges.
Salary and Perks of the Job:
• Short season! You have time to make a difference, earn some money AND enjoy some free time during your summer vacation after employment with us! The best of both worlds!
• Room and Board included
• Laundry Service provided
• Travel Stipend available for staff members traveling over 250 miles
• Salary and bonus information may be found here: http://campstarfish.org/staff/detailsmain.html
• Gain valuable skills needed to work with a variety of children
• Make friends that will last a lifetimeFor more information, please visit http://campstarfish.org/staff/apply-now.html and complete an online application. All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.