Seasonal Administrator/Supervisor and Behavior Specialist – Overnight Summer Camp, Special Needs
We’re looking for motivated and fun individuals who have a desire and ability to work with children outdoors, in a mission-focused, not-for-profit organization dedicated to fostering the success and growth of children with emotional, learning and behavioral challenges by providing individualized attention as part of structured, nurturing, and fun group programs.
Camp Starfish Administrators are essential to the safe and successful functioning of Camp Starfish programs. As a Starfish Administrator, you are a member of the leadership staff whose responsibilities include behavior management, program direction, staff and camper supervision and logistics management.
• Provide overall behavioral support for frontline staff working with campers in difficult situations
• Observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations, and apply behavior–management techniques up to and including therapeutic holds
• Facilitate communication between campers, staff, fellow administrators, and other members of the greater Starfish staff team (directors, healthcare providers, support staff, etc.)
• Participate in and provide supervision to active/outdoor activities, and, with provided training, support children in crisis
• Complete required written reports in a timely manner and assist frontline staff with their own reports. These reports may include: Unusual Incident Reports, Physical Intervention Reports, Staff Records of Discussion, Behavior Logs, etc.
• Supervise and mentor 1-5 frontline staff members
• Conduct staff training sessions as assigned by the Camp Director to ensure that staff understand their roles and responsibilities
• Liaise with parents/guardians to provide appropriate communication regarding their child’s camp experience
• Follow camp policy and procedures; implementing these policies across camp in such a way that camper and staff safety are the utmost priority at all times
• Identify and respond to environmental hazards at camp; respond to emergency instructions; assist children and/or instruct others safely and effectively during potential emergencies
• Assist with upkeep of camp staff morale through staff appreciation and recognition initiatives
Internship/Course Credit/Fieldwork Experience Information:
Many individuals on our summer staff team use their experience working at Camp Starfish to obtain course credit through their college or university. Whether you are looking to grow personally or develop marketable skills for the corporate or professional world, work at Camp Starfish will prepare you for almost anything! In previous years, staff members studying Social Work, Recreation, Sports Science, Wilderness Leadership, Psychology, Education, Business Management and many other subjects were able to spend the summer having fun at camp while still working towards their degree!
If you are planning to use your time at camp to gain course credit, we strongly recommend that you speak with your advisor, etc. to determine the necessary steps to apply for credit at your particular institution.
Successful candidates demonstrate:
• Strong personal integrity, adaptability, emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, patience, grit and self-control
• Ability to understand, role model, and adhere to Starfish policies and procedures
• Willingness and ability to seek and accept supervision and guidance
• Ready to embrace and accept differences in religion/age/ethnicity/culture/race/gender/sexual orientation and/or other diversities. Willingness and ability to treat all campers and staff fairly regardless of identity, ability, background, and/or preferences
• Willingness to live, work and play in an outdoor setting with children who have emotional, learning and behavioral challenges.
Salary and Perks of the Job:
• Short season! You have time to make a difference, earn some money AND enjoy some free time during your summer vacation after employment with us! The best of both worlds!
• Room and Board included
• Laundry Service provided
• Travel Stipend available for staff members traveling over 250 miles
• Salary and bonus information may be found here: http://campstarfish.org/staff/detailsmain.html
• Gain valuable skills needed to work with a variety of children
• Make friends that will last a lifetimeFor more information, please visit http://campstarfish.org/staff/apply-now.html and complete an online application. All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.