Here are some potential questions for Camp Counselor interviews to
ensure that a potential candidate is a good fit for a counselor job.
• Tell me about yourself.
• What motivates you?
• How do you handle difficult situations?
• How do you evaluate success?
• What has been your greatest disappointments?
• What are you passionate about?
• What are your pet peeves?
• What do people most often criticize about you?
• When was the last time you were angry?
• What qualifications do you have that make you suitable for this position?
• Are you a team player?
• Do you prefer to work alone or with others?
• How do you handle stressful situations?
• What do you do when you don't know the answer to a question?
• What made you want to be a camp counselor?
• Did you attend camp as a child? What did you like about it? What did you dislike?
Questions About Childcare Experience:
• With what age groups do you have experience working?
• What do you like about working with kids?
• What are the top three qualities everyone who works with children must have to succeed?
• What sorts of activities would you do with a group of children ages 5-6?
• Do you hope to have a career working with children?
Behavioral Interview Questions
• Explain a time when you had a conflict with a friend, coworker, or employer. Who was involved? What was the conflict? What was the outcome?
• Tell me about a time that you helped resolve a particularly difficult issue with a child.
• Give an example of a time that you changed a child’s emotions from frustration or sadness to happiness.
• Tell me about a time (at work or school) when you acted as a leader for a group of people. Name a type of activity you would do with children of this age group.
• Tell me about a time when you put the needs of another or others ahead of your own. Who was the person? What was the situation, and how did it go?
Situational Interview Questions
• What would you do if one of your campers refused to do an activity with the rest of the group?
• What would you do if it was raining and you had a group of twenty campers to entertain?
• How would you handle a child who was misbehaving and not following instructions?
• What would you do if a parent was angry because of how you handled a situation with their child?
• Imagine one of your campers is homesick and wants to go home. How would you handle that?
Questions About the Camp
• Why would you be a good fit for our camp?